PUNAKHA DZONG - BHUTAN
Punakha Dzong ( dzongs serve as monastaries, fortresses, and government offices ) was built strategically at the junction of two rivers Pho Chu (male) and Mo Chu (female) by the first Shabdrung of Bhutan, Ngawang Namgyel in 1637 to serve as the religious and administrative center. It has been damaged by four fires and an earthquake in 1897 and has been devastated by flood water coming from the great northern glaciers. Now, the Dzong has been fully restored by the present King. At 600 ft long, the dzong has housed as many as 600 monks. Today, the Central Monk Body winters here before moving to Trashi Chhoe dzong in Thimpu for summer.