KUTHODAW PAGODA - MYANMAR
Kuthodaw Pagoda was built in 1868 by King Mindon, who surrounded it with 729 marble slabs inscribed with Tipitakatext, often called the “World’s Biggest Book”. The slabs were carved from white Sagyin Hill marble found just a few miles north of Mandalay. Each slab is 5 ft wide and 5-6 in. thick. The work of carving began in October 1860 and completed their task in May 1869. If spread out horizontally, the slabs would cover a third of an acre (.1 ha); stacked vertically, the ‘pages’ would rise 340 ft (103 m).