Jodoji ( Shingon sect ) was founded by Prince Shotoku in the 6th century. After being destroyed by fire in 1325 (the 2nd year of the Shochu Period), the treasure pagoda was rebuilt in 1328 (the 3rd year of the Kaei Period). The tower is well balanced and comparatively large in scale for a medieval structure. It represents a typical tower structure of the Kamakura Era and one of the three most-noted towers in Japan. The temple is a treasure house of cultural assets including the main hall and two-storied pagoda , and the temple gate and Manitoba hall . In the backyard there stands a tranquil tea ceremony house “Roteki-an” which was once dismantled and moved from Fushimi Castle in Kyoto for reconstruction here.

Jodo-ji temple