WAT PHRAKEO - LAOS
Wat Phrakeo or Ho Phra Keo (Jewel Buddha Image; Wat Phra Kaeo in Thai) is a former monastery and long served as royal temple of the Lao monarchs. The original temple built in the 16th century by King Setthathirat and was destroyed during the Siamese invasion of 1828 and rebuilt between 1936 and 1942. It housed the Emerald Buddha (actually carved from a type of jade), that was carried off by the Siamese in 1779 and placed in the Bangkok temple of the same name. Unlike other temples , there had never been any monks residing in this temple of Wat Prakeo.