TASHI LHUNPO MONASTERY - TIBET
The Tashilhunpo Monastery stands on the slope of Mount Niser, southwest of Shigatse. It covers an area of about 300,000 square meters and has a floor space of about 30,000 square meters. The monastery was founded in 1447 by Gendun Zhuba, one of the principal disciples of Tsongkapa, founder of the Gelugpa sect of Buddhism. Gendun Zhuba was the first abbot of the monastery.