WOODEN CHURCHES OF KIZHI POGOST - RUSSIA
In the 16th century, Kizhi was the administrative centre of the large Zaonezhye region, with numerous settlements on islands and on the mainland. It was the land of diligent, prosperous, and religious people - fishermen, peasants, merchants, blacksmiths, carpenters - with rich culture and traditions. The heart of the Kizhi ensemble is the Church of the Transfiguration, the Church of the Intercession, and a belfry located between them. The 22 domed Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior (1714) is the key site of the Kizhi Pogost. It was designed as a summer church: services were held here only in summer.