PANNONHALMA BENEDICTINE ABBEY - HUNGARY
The Millenary Benedictine Abbey of Pannonhalma, founded by Chief Prince Géza in 966, by settling down Czech Benedictine monks. His work was finished by King Stephen issuing a letter of privilege in 1002. When the Turks occupied Hungary the abbey was converted into a mosque. It burned down in 1575 and was rebuilt in 1699 after the Turks had withdrawn. Restoration work was carried out in the 19th century, and in 1996, 1,000 years after Prince Géza provided the land.