NYATAPOLA PAGODA - NEPAL
This five-story pagoda was built in 1702 A.D. by King Bhupatindra Malla. It stands on a five-terraced platform. On each of the terraces squat a pair of figures. This is one of the tallest pagodas and is famous for its massive structure and subtle workmanship. The temple of lord Bhairab adjacent to the Nyatapola was completely damaged during the devastating earthquake in 1934 A.D. But the 108 feet tall Nyatapola remained intact. About 1,135,350 local bricks, 1,002,034 oily bricks, and 27,084 jhingati/apas were used to erect the whole edifice of the temple. The gold plated "Gajur", topmost part of the roof contains 88 kg of copper. Big rocks were brought from rivers and hilly areas of Bhaktapur, Banepa, Sanga, Panauti, Khodapu, Dhulikhel and Bhaktapur to carve 10 giant structures including two Hercules, two elephants and two lions installed on each side of the stone ladder leading to the main temple. Nyatapola still stands intact although most of the pagoda structures of the Kathmandu Valley were damaged or destroyed in the April 25 / 2015 earthquake.